|Democratizing Global Governance
Webinar #1 on April 12, 2021
WAAS Fellow Andreas Bummel, Executive Director of Democracy Without Borders, presented three proposals which are now being advanced to the United Nations to help democratize the institutions of global governance: a UN World Citizens' Initiative, a UN Parliamentary Assembly (UNPA), and a UN Civil Society envoy/champion. These proposals are put forward by CIVICUS: World Alliance For Citizen Participation, Democracy International and Democracy Without Borders and backed by a consortium of NGOs including Greenpeace International, Open Society Foundations, The Nature Conservancy, Forus International, ActionAid, Avaaz, Together 2030 and some 30 other civil society groups and networks from across the world. UNPA has already been endorsed by over 200 civil society groups and more than 1,500 current and former members of parliament from more than 100 countries.
One of the objectives of the webinar was to consider possible roles WAAS can play in supporting the proposals. The webinar included a moderated discussion by a small panel of WAAS Fellows followed by an open Q&A with other participants.
- Introduction: Garry Jacobs, WAAS President
- Moderator: Donato Kiniger-Passigli, WAAS Vice President
- Presentation: Andreas Bummel, Executive Director and Chairman of the Board of the Committee for a Democratic United Nations (KDUN)
- David Chikvaidze, Chef de Cabinet of the Director-General of the United Nations Office at Geneva
- Maria Espinosa, President of the 73rd UN General Assembly
- Jonathan Granoff, President of Global Security Institute