Draft Agenda for WAAS Roundtable on the
Future Capital: Financing Global Development
The World Bank, Washington D.C. – September 16-17, 2019
The world possesses all the financial resources needed to meet humanity's material needs and foster wellbeing. Money is a unique human invention, a networking device to extend mutually beneficial human relationships in space and time, and a powerful instrument for promoting sustainable development and wellbeing. But the global monetary and financial system misconstrues its fundamental purpose and role in society and is underperforming and misperforming its intended role. A new financial paradigm is needed based on a fundamental change in consciousness and values. Format for this meeting will be brief presentations followed by moderated open roundtable discussion to maximize active participation and exchange of views among all participants.
Day 1 – September 16, 2019
- Overview of the Future of Capital Project
- Global Challenges and Opportunities. Background, Goals and Objectives of the project. Reflections on the meeting at UN in NY. The Future of the Project.
- The Human Value of Money
- The Role of Capital in Promoting Sustainable Development and Wellbeing. Types of capital and their role in development and wellbeing. The evolutionary role of money and finance in the development of society, civilization and culture. The real foundations for creation and multiplication of money. The power of money and its relationship with other forms of social power. Multiplying money and social power for beneficial purposes.
- Innovative Strategies for Financing Sustainable Development
- The origin and purpose of financial markets. The role of financial markets in human development and social evolution. Transforming financial markets. Financing Climate Action Program and the SDGs.
- Digital Financing for Sustainable Development
- New consciousness meets new financial currencies. Financial innovations, new technologies and digitalization to fund sustainable development and provide equitable access to finance. Blockchain currencies and other financial innovations. SDGM platform.
- Whole Systems Approach to Conscious Capitalism
- Aligning global economic policies and financial systems with the 2030 Agenda. Aligning social systems to promote real wealth creation and sustainable development.
- Investing in effective democracy and business regulation.
Day 2 – September 17, 2019
- Human-Centered Economics
- Limitations of prevailing economic theory. Accounting for Externalities. New Global Dashboard. Reorienting financial markets for sustainable development & wellbeing. Towards a theory that maximizing human welfare and wellbeing.
- Systems Change Investing
- Conscious Capital and Conscientious investing. Sustainable Responsible Investing & CSR. Multi-dimensional framework for investment decision-making -- Economic, Societal, Environmental and Consciousness.
- Business & Finance
- Reconciling purpose-driven business models with public good and private profit. Scaling business models that promote the common good. Policy, regulatory and incentive structures to promote conscious capitalism. Incentive structures for business.
- Human Capital Formation
- The special role of Human Capital in Human Development. Education for the 21st century. Education, Technology and Employment. Need for new paradigm in education.
- Global strategies for transforming education.
- Movement toward a New Paradigm
- Theory of social evolution. Transforming intention into a global social movement. Multi-stakeholder approach. Envisioning a world in which Agenda 2030 SDGs have been fully realized.